The Wild Rose Old Tyme Fiddlers Association came into existence as a registered non-profit organization in November 1989. A group of fiddlers and musicians saw the need to formalize their regular gatherings into an association in order to promote old time fiddle music through fiddle contests, dances and other special events. The goal has remained the same over the years:
----->> Hey CLUB MEMBERS <<----- For your convenience this section will be used to point you to recent posts of information updates.
For example some recent updates:
1) Key information for attendees of Monday Night Jams and Troy's Tune Workshops. Scroll down to the "NOVEMBER 24th Update for changes that take effect immediately.
2) Calvin Volrath is hosting an on-line fiddle workshop at 7:pm Thursday November 26th; part of the Blueberry Bluegrass 20 in 20 workshop series. Scroll down to Nov. 1 newsflash below re: getting access.
3) A pictorial overview for the Grand North American Fiddle Championship was added Nov. 1, 2020. To access: Scroll up and select the "Fiddle Contest" button on the navigation bar. Then scroll down and click the link (i.e. the sentence in blue font) link beside the table of 2020 contest winners.
The Wild Rose Old Tyme Fiddlers Association exists to encourage, foster and develop an appreciation of Old Tyme Fiddle Music in a spirit of friendship, and to preserve this musical heritage for our generation and for future generations to enjoy.
We maintain an artistic community for our members and the public through several key activities: our weekly jam circles, our lessons and workshops, our sponsorship of young people to old time music camps, our gigs in the community, and our annual fiddle contest- the Grand North American Fiddle Championship.
Attend one of the great fiddle camps in Alberta!
We encourage fiddlers to attend one of the great fiddle camps in Alberta. Usually, contestants can go directly to Camp Calvin from the Grand North American Old Time Fiddle Championship. This year however Camp Calvin was held in a 'virtual' on-line format. See www.campcalvin.ca for information. We eagerly hope we can get back into regular routines next year.
The Alberta Society of Fiddlers - Deer Valley Meadows Camp was cancelled due to Covid-19 issues. Held near Alix, Alberta you can enjoy another week of instruction, jams, dancing, concerts, great food, campfires & wonderful fellowship. Again, we hope the camp can proceed again in 2021.
Evening concerts which are held at both Camp Calvin and Deer Valley are open to spectators so you can listen or dance to more good old time fiddling.
2021 FIDDLE CONTEST
Our annual Grand North American Fiddle Championships will be held Saturday July 17, and Sunday July 18, 2021.
The format of the competition will be in-person at our new location in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta OR on-line via Facebook Live, depending on COVID restrictions.
WEEKLY JAM SESSIONS and WORKSHOPS
November 1, NEWS FLASH on some bonus workshops:
Hey WROTFA members: Do you know that your 2020-2021 PAID Membership has some extra added value. Thanks to the great people at Blueberry Bluegrass Festival, your paid membership entitles you to some Fiddle workshops with Calvin Volrath, and Hunter Berry of Rhonda Vincent’s “Rage” fame as instructors. There's more! 20 workshops in total on a variety of musical interests such as guitar, mandolin, banjo (clawhammer or Scrugg’s style) as well as song-writing. IMPRESSIVE line-up. Workshops are 45 minutes each on Thursday nights at 7:00 MST. First workshop is on November 5 at 7pm (MST) on Guitar with Kenny Smith as the instructor.
BEFORE you check out https://blueberrybluegrass.com/20-in-20 to register for the workshops, a few things to note:
1) Member or not, you need to go through the Membership purchase process for your club. The promo code will fully discount the membership to $0.00 .
2) If you’ve already paid your membership and haven't received your promo code yet, contact WROTFA via e-mail to email@example.com. Otherwise, you can purchase the membership on the Blueberry 20-in-20 site.
3) When you get to the blueberry web-site, if you don't use the above link, but come to Blueberry Bluegrass' home page, you'll need to select "CLICK FOR DETAILS" to the right of "FREE EVERY WEEK" to get to the 20-in-20 page.
To help you through the registration:
a) Read all the information on the page up to “Participating Clubs: before proceeding to register.
b) BEFORE clicking the “Support Your Club and Register for the Workshop” pay particular attention to the information under the heading “But I’m already a member…”
c) Then go back to the “Support Your Club and Register for the Workshop” bar or button and click on it.
d) Complete your registration as prompted.
* * * * * * *
NOVEMBER 24th Update: For those interested in Weekly Fiddle Jams and workshops
please note following "immediate" temporary cancellation of the Monday night Workshop and Jam at Pleasantview Hall.
In accordance with the Premier's (November 24th) message regarding Covid restrictions for public gatherings, the Monday Night Jams, Troy's Workshops and Laura's lessons are all cancelled until further notice. NOTE: On-line lessons are under consideration, and will be commenced once proper arrangements are finalized.
Call 780-962-8857 or text 587-784-6786 for more information.
Old Tyme Music - Open Mic (This event remains on hold until at least January, 2021 pending further AHS guidelines and directives from North Glenora Community League,)
Singing and Dancing
Contact Wayne Kirk at 780-722-9428
North Glenora Community Hall
13535 - 109A Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5M 3Z4
GRAND NORTH AMERICAN
OLD TIME FIDDLE CHAMPIONSHIP
OLD TIME FIDDLE CHAMPIONSHIP
Participate in one of the richest contest payouts in Canada, happening the 3rd weekend of July every year!
COVID -19 UPDATE