WROTFA believes in the value of old time music camps to enhance musical skills, build an old time music repertoire and to foster close ties with other like-minded musicians in a fun, inclusive atmosphere. We are happy to provide bursary funds of $150 per sponsored individual according to the following guidelines (* Indicates new or updated information):
- be an Alberta resident.
- * be a current member of the Wild Rose Old Tyme Fiddlers Association, or your parent / guardian must be a current member, if you are under 18 years of age.
- not have received subsidy from the Wild Rose Old Tyme Fiddlers to any other fiddle camp in the current year.
- not be actively instructing beginners.
- apply for sponsorship to old time fiddle camps held in the province of Alberta only.
Order of consideration:
- First priority will be given to applicants 18 years of age and under.
- Sponsorship of chaperones will be approved if the chaperone is enrolled in a music class, funds permitting.
- *Applicants 18 and over will be considered based on funding availability.
- Applications will be processed on a first come, first served basis until the targets for our annual sponsorship budget have been reached.
* There is no longer a limit on the number of years that a person will be sponsored. However, if you have been previously sponsored, you will be asked on the sponsorship application to state what activities you have done to give back in some way to our Association.
The Small Print
- If you are not yet a member, please include the membership application from website, if applying for the first time, along with sponsorship application.
- Cut-off date for applications will be 14 days prior to camp dates.
- WROTFA will confirm receipt of your application within a week of receiving it. Approval / Denial notifications will be given as soon as possible, but no later than a week prior to the camp start date.
- WROTFA will send payment of approved funds directly to the appropriate camp coordinator.
Alberta Music Camps Supported
We currently provide sponsorship for applicants who attend one of four key old time music camps in Alberta:
The Alberta Society of Fiddlers holds two music camps per year, Camp HeHoHa in February and Deer Valley Meadows in August. Information is available at www.albertafiddlers.com/fiddle-camps.
The Great Canadian Barndance in southwestern Alberta holds an old time music camp in July. Check out www.gcbd.ca/music-camp-important-information.
Camp Calvin happens every July in the St. Paul area, with topnotch music instructors drawn from across Canada. See www.campcalvin.ca